Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lesson 14: Don't Let the Stress Affect Your Overall Health and Appearance

Stress can be a killer. The worse part is it is a slow and painful death. The best part is it can be stopped. Stress can come from all areas of life. There certainly is an over abundance of stressors around. When the main stressor is a relationship, that can be a big warning that something is very wrong.
Stress affects different people in different ways. Some people are better at dealing with stress. Some people can burn theirs off in constructive ways or use it to fuel themselves for something greater. Some will lash out and use their loved ones as literal or metaphorical punching bags. Some people will bury it deep inside for many reasons- fear, shame, or countless other reasons.
I am one of those people that bury their stress inside. When it came to my relationship it was for two reasons: 1) fear of the backlash and 2) it only seemed to get worse if I talked about it. I was having a tong of health problems at this time- hair falling out, losing weight uncontrollably, skin problems, blood pressure dropping suddenly, depression, symptoms mimicking hyperthyroidism, and heart palpitations. i had so many tests run to try and figure it all out. Finally my one of my aunts who is a nurse told me that they can be caused by stress hormones. Once I put it upon myself to control my stress better, I have been healing.
Your mind can be in denial about a lot of things. You can lie to yourself all you want, but your body will still scream the problems back at you. If you are in a relationship that is causing so much stress that it is affecting your health and well-being then get out or at least find help. Left unchecked it can only get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment